My daughter and I found a recipe in one of her cookery books which inspired us to create these hot chocolate straws and spoons. She loves hot chocolate and these are really easy things for kids to make. They’d be great for children to give to their friends as little treats.
Ingredients and equipment:
- 100g dark chocolate
- Sprinkles of your choice
- 4-6 drinking straws
- 6 or so plastic spoons
- A few glasses (or plastic beakers) and plates
- A heatproof bowl
- A saucepan
How to make the hot chocolate straws:
1) Break the chocolate into pieces and place into the heatproof bowl.
2) Put a little bit of water into the bottom of the saucepan and place the bowl into the pan. Make sure that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Place the saucepan onto a low heat and allow the chocolate to melt slowly. The water should be barely simmering. Stir the chocolate from time to time.
3) In the meantime, place each drinking straw into a glass or plastic beaker and put these into the fridge.
4) Once the chocolate has melted completely, pour it into a tall glass or jug.
5) Take each beaker and straw out of the fridge. Dip one end of the straw into the melted chocolate, swirling it around and tipping the glass to coat further up the straw.
6) Carefully place the straw back into it’s beaker, with the chocolate end pointing down. Then return the beaker and straw to the fridge.
7) Repeat this until you have coated all the straws.
8) Leave the straws in the fridge for 5 minutes. Then repeat the whole process twice more for each straw, so they have 3 layers of chocolate.
9) Whilst the third layer of chocolate is setting, put the sprinkles you have chosen onto a plate.
10) Take a straw out of the fridge and dip it into the melted chocolate again. Then hold it over the plate and use your fingers to drop some sprinkles onto the chocolate. Put the straw in the beaker and place back into the fridge for 15 minutes. Repeat this for all the straws.
How to make the hot chocolate spoons:
1) Make sure you have a couple of plates next to you to place the chocolate-dipped spoons on. You will also need a selection of sprinkles.
2) Take each spoon and dip it into the melted chocolate, making sure the back of the spoon is coated. Scoop up a bit of the chocolate with the front of the spoon but don’t fill it completely.
3) Drop some of your sprinkles into the melted chocolate on the spoon. Place the chocolated-dipped spoons onto a plate.
4) Put the plates of chocolate spoons into the fridge and allow to cool until completely set.
The straws and spoons will keep for a few days in the fridge. You can also package them up in cellophane bags, tied with pretty ribbon, and give them to your friends as little gifts. Remember to include some instructions on how to make up the hot chocolate (see below)!
To make up a mug of hot chocolate:
1) Place some milk into a heat-proof mug and stir in half a teaspoon of sugar (you can omit the sugar if you prefer).
2) Microwave the mug of milk for 1 – 1.5 minutes until steaming. Alternatively, you can heat the milk and sugar in a saucepan then pour into mugs.
3) Add one of the hot chocolate straws or spoons to your mug of hot milk. Stir the milk with the spoon or straw until the chocolate has melted.
4) Let the hot chocolate cool a little before drinking. If you chose a straw, you can use this to drink the hot chocolate!!